Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sushi Night!+ IN DEPTH HOW-TO

After my weeks and weeks of craving sushi, and 3 stores later, we got everything last night to make our own california rolls. FYI-Yes it's ok if I have them while I'm pregnant, dr said ok.I will only eat the crab ones anyways, and supposedly it's some of the other fishies I need to stay away from.(and it was 3 stores because walmart was out of avocados.Yes, out of avocados, so I had to go to our podunk grocery store, aka the over sized 7-11)

Here's a picture of all my ingredients:
What I got at Walmart:

  • Light Mayo $3
  • Sushi Rice in asian section $5
  • Imitation crab sticks $2.50, refridgerated fish section.I made 3 rolls last night and used almost one stick, of the 8 in a pack.And the pack says they're good til end of April.
  • Cream Cheese $1
  • 1 Cucumber, 1 Avocado.About $1.25 for both.
  • Sweet n Sour Sauce $2

What I got from iffy Asian Market- (looked like souvenier shop, but lo and behold it was asian groceries!).We had to pull into a chinese buffet to ask where the nearest one was. The girl said *nodding head with strong asian accent* "ohhh yes I tell you how you get to jap'nese mah'ket" as if it's a secret.When I found it,The guy there could somehow sense I was new at this and gave me some pointers, we will call him Kim. Thank you Kim, because none of the packaging was in English.

  • Nori (Seaweed Sheets) $5 for 40.Wayyy too many, you can get the $2 pack for 10.
  • Black Sesame seeds.$3.Forgot to look for them at Walmart, so I don't know if they sell them there.You can get either color, Kim said they taste the same.
  • Good Chopsticks.$1.99.These were for AJ, I use those finger things God gave me 10 of.They work good.
  • Rice Vinegar.$1.99.Was totally unaware I needed this, but Kim quickly laughed and informed me it's a must.
  • Bamboo mat $1.99.This is for making the actual roll.Cover it in plastic wrap.

The longest part of this process is the rice! You have to cook it just right or it turns out mushy like mine did.Sorry, I was anxious for my sushi! So I did everything you see my friend Koji do in this video, except I didn't put the little seaweed thing in the rice vinegar mixture.And I just mixed the vinegar stuff in a bowl, not cooked in a pan.And you have to make sure the rice is cooled to room temperature until you pour the vinegar mixture in.I'll let my friend Koji show you what I did:







Once you have the rice done, everything else is super easy and quick!You can put whatever you want in these things, I added cream cheese in the roll and it was worth it :) I used the light mayo and sweet n sour to mix together for a creamy sauce to dip the rolls in, totally up to you.But it was good :) NO SOY sauce, oh gag, it throws everything off.It needs a sweet sauce if anything.








His was done all pretty, here's pics of my sushi in the works:

They say to put a thin layer of rice, so you can still see the sea weed sheet through it.Then flip everything over,And pull apart crab sticks, and layer the thinly cut ingredients up against it.Giada got the shredded crab and mixed it with mayo and some lemon juice and brown sugar THEN put it in the roll.I'm not Giada.But it sounds really good for next time.Roll, cover in sesame seeds and cut!Voila!
I used a 'sharp' knife but that rice is SO sticky, I kept a bowl of water close by for my fingers, and to get the knife wet before every slice because the rice sticks to EVERYTHING.After going through ALL of this, while I was making it I guess I got too many wiffs of crab....I could barely eat a whole roll because of the fishy smell....But AJ loved it! And now I have tons of sushi stuff.So my girlfriends are coming over for a sushi making lunch.Mine will just have to be a fishless roll for today.

After feeling like a domestic genius, I attempted bread later. It came out with Utah hair.We're talkin the west side of Kearns Utah hair.*sigh*
Speaking of Utah-Did you watch idol last night in SLC???They said they had the most talented so far!And cute David Osmond that went first, has MS, he came and sang at a devotional we had while I was at school in St.George. I told AJ I remember thinking "dang, who's he dating..." apparently he found himself a movie star look-a-like for a wife.As in ADULT movie star.I wouldn't have let the blonde haired dread girl through at the end,as sweet as her story was.I'm just heartless like that.Put some freaking shoes on!

Ultrasound countdown:13 days

6 comments:

*DeMeLo HaPpEnInGs* said...

Very Impressive. Thanks for the step by step, we will be needing that. And your bread looks delicious.

Rebekah said...

Nathan wants to know if you got wasabi... he said if you didn't get any than you didn't have real sushi!

Anonymous said...

I should have, AJ likes it, but the first time I had it I had a bad experience.Lets just say I thought it was avocado, and ate it by itself.A big piece of it.

Jonathan and Shantai said...

Good job!!! By the way Murfins is not an over sized 7 11....

The Walker clan said...

Once I perfect this I am going to learn to make the Vegas roll...mmmmm vegas roll! (baby friendly as well :))

thepainterfamily said...

I'm so very very impressed!

Even your 'utah hair' bread looks delish! YUM!