We finally made it home.I will try to make this quick and painless for you, because it wasn't for me :)
Original Plan: Last wed drive to aj's parents house, christmas around 10am AJ takes me and Gavin to airport to Denver to meet up with my parents and sisters.Fly back monday, make it back to MO by monday eve, AJ goes back to work tues and I have first baby appt tues.
What REALLY happened:
Wed-drove to Miami Oklahoma (hour and a half from our house) All is well, excellent Christmas dinner, great presents, check. (make a note that the day before, I took Gavin to the pediatricians office for a checkup which did NOT have seperate well child/sick child areas.They slashed his finger for a lead test and he got blood EVERYWHERE while he was freaking out.Then they gave him an MMR)
Thursday (Christmas): 6am we hear Gavin gulping down his drink in his bed, then puke it up everywhere.We clean it up and thinking it's just a fluke, go on with plans to fly out that day. I'm feeling really nauseated but assuming it's normal pregnancy stuff. Get car loaded up for our hour and a half drive to the airport (which makes it a total of 3 hours from our house in MO).2 miles down the freeway Gavin throws up all over.Pull over to clean up, I bawl all the way back.
Friday: Flight gets switched and I still make plans for Denver, but unfortunately without Gavin. He'd be with AJ and AJ's mom who is a nurse, I feel comfort he is in good hands and he was showing signs of improvement. I say goodbye to Gavin, bawl again, then AJ takes me to the airport.
Descent of my flight I reach for barf bag buuuut don't need it.Nausea doesn't end after the escallators, tram to baggage claim, then car ride to Olive Garden where all 15 of the family met for dinner.
Back at home, where Aj had brought his mom and brother with him, Gavin is still throwing up but it's ONLY when he's sleeping/laying down, he's acting fine, drinking fluids, but losing it all after or during a nap or bedtime.Now AJ's brother is running to the bathroom several times to heave (I'm trying not to make you all nauseous just by reading this).Aj is now in bed fighting the symptoms but hasn't 'lost' anything yet.Aj and his mom cover the overnight shift, going between changing Gavin's sheets, and helping Neil.Aj's mom slept on Gavins floor, blanket and pillow.
At the hotel in Denver,I'm in a nice bed I can't even get comfortable in, crawling from the bathroom to the bed all night.No fever for any of us-this whole thing we all got was no flu, we got our flu shots.This thing sucked, it's killer on the stomach. I'm trying to keep fluids going and worrying about how the baby at home is and the baby I'm carrying.
Sunday: I'm not hanging out with the porcelain anymore, just feeling like a cancer patient, trying to regain strength, weak, no appetite.I got to spend a few hours with my sisters before they headed back to SLC.I also got to spend a wonderful evening at my sister's house having dinner and watching Westside Story.Then went back to the hotel that night to rest for my flight the next day.I get late night texts and calls-Gavin gets worse, his tummy is rock hard and puffy, AJ takes him to the ER at the hospital in Miami, OK (where his parents live). After hours of waiting, and blood drawn and redrawn, and IV in him, the xray shows (from what I understood), tons of gas in his stomach, but the virus had caused all the throwing up which caused some sort of intestinal swelling the wasn't letting gas out or food to process through, so he'd throw up, making everything worse.So the IV gave him fluids he could keep down, helping the swelling to go down, allowing gas/food to go through. Dr said he will 'deflate' over the next few days.
Monday:AJ and his mom stay at he hospital with Gavin sunday night, I fly in monday afternoon and United loses my bag, after I paid $15 for my 'bag fee' and say I will get it that night, I give them AJ's parents address.AJ and I stayed with him monday night.I'm NOT a fan of the hospital, that place is depressing and I swear it makes you sicker!
Tuesday:Blood drawn again at 5am, nurses walk right in, turn on light, get out needles.Gavin is screaming already.Gavin is discharged around noon and at 12:15 he throws up his juice all over the floor.I thought I don't care I am taking this kid home.But luckily the dr said it's still ok to take him home.Whew.Other good news is even though we were out of the state, this hospital was IN network.Very good news. I had to reschedule my first baby appt to next week.AJ had to take off a few days of work.
We get everyone back to AJ's parents house to pack up and go and AJ gets really sick.
I check status of my bag and they said they send it fed ex, fed ex says they JUST got bag and I will have it by wednesday around noon.Mind you-we would be in springfield by now but can't change the address fed ex has.I HATE UNITED.
Wednesday(today): We made it home last night and I've never been more excited to take a shower after a plane ride, hospital stay, bleh... Gavin slept til 7 this morning and he's been doing fine.His stomach feels less tight and he has a better appetite, but I'm still keeping him on soft foods and baby food. His energy isn't up to par but that was expected and I'm kinda enjoying it :)Dr said all is well as long as he doesn't throw up anymore, it may mean the swelling in tummy may be called an illius (sp?) and we'd need to go back in.Crossing my fingers things stay this good! Aj is in bed recovering. And I'm using the energy I have to get the house back in order!And blog of course.....still waiting on my bag, I'm gonna have to meet AJ's mom halfway tomorrow or something.I don't even have a single brush in this house!Talk about feeling pretty....




9 comments:
Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you had to go through and at Christmas time! I know how hospitals are, and they are no fun! I hope everything goes well tonight and we will pray for lil' Gavin! (You look great in the pictures by the way!)
Geeeeez. I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope you get your bag! Pooooor Gavin. I hope he gets better soon too. Not fun!
I prayed hard. The picture in my mind of gavin with a tube made me cry. No hospital, no tube. We will keep praying..when you get your bag make sure you give Gavin the car for us..might make his tummy go right down! Cant they do a supository to make him poop?? Keep us all updated. Love you Maguires!
You poor thing, I am so sorry that your Holiday wasn't all that you wanted it to be. We will keep Gavin in our prayers, call us you guys need ANYTHING. Even if it is just to sit with Gavin while you take a shower or something. Nathan and I have nothing going on right no so we are completely at your disposal!
Geez, that's horrible! I am sorry Kroppy, I hadn't heard from you so I assumed you were having fun in Denver...I hope everything got better from Gavin, poor guy!
We will definitely be praying for all of you! I am so sorry your holiday was miserable. Vomiting is the worst! Especially when it is your little kids! I feel for ya! Anyway, good luck and we hope to hear everyone is on the mend soon!!
Oh my gosh, what a sad Christmas you had!! Poor Gavin, I hope he has deflated and is feeling better, poor little guy. Hope you are all doing tons better.
Man, I am so sorry about your holiday. Hope to hear soon that everything is doing much better. I hate going to the Dr.'s, I am always paranoid about all the germs, yuck!
Wow...I'm sorry!!! Juice is the ticket to pooping...prunes is the ticket to softening...bananas are the ticket to thickening...I don't know what to tell you on throwing up but maybe crackers? Prayer works! Get better all of you!
Post a Comment