Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fit Friday

So after 24 hours of being without internet (longest 24 hours ever, it's pathetic) I can finally get out my Fit Friday...on Saturday...

SODIUM 101
(Quoted from Jillian Michaels.com)


You know sodium best as table salt, but salt and sodium are hidden in all kinds of products, including packaged, frozen, canned, and fast foods, condiments, and many others. Excess sodium can raise your blood pressure and slow your metabolism.
Your body needs a steady flow of water in and out to effectively metabolize your fat. If the water gets dammed up in your cells, it will slow your metabolism and, therefore, your ability to burn fat. As if that wasn't the worst of it, it'll also leave you puffy and bloated! (feeling like THIS:)
Now, don't make yourself crazy over this, because there is sodium in everything — you can't avoid it. Just be conscious of it and minimize it where you can. Here are some tips to get you started:
-Read labels to check the sodium content of the food you are eating.
-Replace processed foods with fresh foods.
-Avoid prepackaged and canned foods.
-Be wary of sodium-laden condiments (soy sauce, mustard, and table salt).
-Go easy on the dairy.
-Cut down on processed meats (hot dogs, jerky, bologna, corned beef).
-Watch out for miso, tofu, and canned or smoked seafood.
-Steer clear of anything pickled (including capers, sauerkraut, and relish).
-Consider salt-free flavoring alternatives, like garlic, lemon, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, and spices.

High Speed Fat Loss
Sprinting creates major metabolic changes in your body. Research has shown that high intensity exercise will burn calories long after your workout is complete. Sprinting also increases your body's ability to increase HGH. Human Growth Hormone is your body's natural fat burning hormone. If you only do low intensity exercise, you probably won't cause your body to increase HGH release. Consequently, you burn less body fat if you only include low intensity exercises in your workout routine.

Running intervals, or sprints with intermittent rest periods, burns three times as much fat as running at slow, consistent speeds.Start by taking a baseline measurement of your endurance at high speeds. Head to a track, football field, or other measured area with room to run. Sprint for 45 seconds and record your distance. Rest for 60 seconds, then sprint again for 45 seconds.-says msn health

-OK you don't have to do all the 37 second this....then 19 second that.....just mix in some sprinting intervals with walking, jogging, whatev.Going down the road say I'm gonna sprint to that lightpost etc. and do it. Then try to go a little further the next time. -Says me. Who carries a notepad and pen in their running shorts to record everything....

Tips on form:When you sprint, you need to relax your shoulders. There is a tendency to shrug the shoulders up as you sprint. The problem lies in the fact that if your shoulders start to rise, your hips lock up a bit…which decreases your ability to sprint quickly. Also, over time you will notice that your feet are barely contacting the ground for more than a split second. This is what you are aiming for. As you get better at sprinting, you will fly over the pavement in a way that is much different than jogging.

Move of the Week-Side Squat


"Inclines recruit lower-body muscles that standard floor exercises don't and improve balance.."-Women's Health Magazine

Side squat:Works core, back, hamstrings, inner thighs, quads, and calves


Stand a foot away from the bottom step with the left side of your body toward the staircase. Place your left foot on the second step. Raise your arms above your head and straighten your left leg, letting your right leg come off the floor so you're balancing on your left. Hold for one count. Lower your right leg to the floor, then step down with your left. That's one rep. Do 12 to 16 reps, then repeat to the other side. Make it harder-add hand weights.


So I'm sitting here putting this together at 1am while I hear Gavin crying.My child is 18 months old and STILL doesn't sleep through the night. I think this is where most moms start hitting the crack.

4 comments:

o-town said...

not only am i unsure when and where you snapped that pic of my backside oozing out of the chair, but you're asking me to give up corned beef, bologna, canned seafood, and pickled capers. for the love.

kidding.

Katie said...

I would try the fitness move, but seeing how it feels like my crotch is going to split open any day, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Spencer wasn't a good sleeper, well I'm not so sure cause I think I catered to him more, cause he was my first. I was more stricked with Lily and she goes down at 7:30-8 and is just waking up right now 8:45. Honestly, since she was 2-3 months I can count on one hand the times she has woken up in the middle of the night. That is the only reason I still have some sanity left... Spencer came into my room last night at 2 wanting me to lay by him for awhile. Grrrr.... This happens about once a week.
I hope and pray this baby will be a good sleeper for me.

The Rylanders said...

You just HAD to talk about sodium this week didn't you? After not eating for a week because of a toothache, I was finally able to have a semi-meal last night and guess what it was...Chinese...made with like a gallon of soy sauce. Oh Kristy...
But thanks for that sprinting tip. Now that I feel like I am FINALLY becoming a runner, maybe the next step is to start sprinting intervals like that. I'm excited to try it out tomorrow! Once again, you are the best!
AND just let him cry it out. I think he's old enough ;)

Erin S said...

Love Fit Fridays!! I will definetely be doing the sprinting thing, thanks for the awesome tips!! And I agree with Maria, CRY IT OUT!!!!! Its so frustrating, I know, but just try it for a few days, preferrably when AJ is out of town, and hopefully it will work!!!!