Yesterday was an interesting travel experience. Although, Gavin was THE most behaved he has been since his birth, I was so amazed, it was definitely an answered prayer.Nothing but smiles and giggles out of him the entire trip. So it all started with AJ dropping me off at skycap where a never ending group of people outlined the curb. I had Gavin in the stroller, a big carry on bag, bigger duffel bag, an even bigger suitcase, and Gavin's carrier all in tow. AJ couldn't stay with me obviously because you can't park there. So for about a half hour or longer, each time the line would move I would push the stroller a little bit, roll the suitcase, then kick the duffel bag with my foot, the carrier on my left arm cutting off circulation.And you know what my friends, on this weekend before Thanksgiving, not a single person offered to help. Maybe I'm just naive to think there are people still in the world who actually have a minute of time to think of someone besides themselves. So I finally make it through skycap outside (the line inside was twice as long and I didn't have an extra limb to haul my stuff in there even if I wanted to) then I'm greeted with the security line. For those of you who know the Portland airport, they have the regular security line and the "express" lane which was just as long...as I'm trying to keep the stroller moving back and forth so Gavin doesn't realize how tired and hungry he is, and older man with the salt and pepper hair comes up to me and asks me in a kind of scottish accent "what is the express lane for?" I swore I was just approached by Sean Connery. I told him it was for first class and employees then he just makes himself comfortable infront of me in line! I just kind of smiled and laughed to myself. I don't know if guilt set in or he was just ignorant to the end of the line being a few miles back but he then offered to hold Gavins carrier for me since it looked akward on my arm and a big carry on bag. I gladly accepted and all through security we talked of his grandkids and our Thanksgiving plans. He even folded the stroller down for me and sent my row of stuff through the scanner. When he made sure I finally made it through the security checkpoint he then took himself further back in the line where you take your shoes off and everything. It felt like telling him thank you would not suffice but it was all I could do. That small act made my day and definitely made me more hopeful that there ARE good people in this world, and I only hope I can take the time to do it for someone else when those opportunities arise.
Gavin news: He has a tooth!His first one, coming in on the bottom.And he slept through the night last night, this has been a normal thing lately. He's a new man....
8 years ago



6 comments:
its good to hear a happy (somewhat) travel story....i am nervous for next month! :)
so glad to hear Gavin was good for you on the flight! And wowsers, more sleeping through the night & a tooth - so grown up.
Some guy helped me through the line too when I was going to Arizona. SOOOOOOOOOOO NICE. Glad you had the help.
yeah for sean connery! He's a fabulous looking old man if you ask me.... I'm glad you got some help, and I am so glad that Gavin has been good!
I second the comment on Sean Connery being a pretty hot old guy! I am so glad that he was so nice and helpful! Airports are the worst, but I am glad that you guys made it and that Gavin was good for you. I can't believe that he just got his first tooth! What is wrong with Tracen? His has five goin' on six teeth. Crazy kids!
Have you ever heard my Sean Connery impression? Yeah, its wicked-good. How do you think I landed a hottie like Karrie?
Post a Comment